Sustainability means different things to companies in different industries. It goes beyond just Environmentalism and extends into the Social and Economic realms too. The underlying concept, however, remains the same – meeting your own needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet theirs.
What does Sustainability mean to Par-Avion Exclusive Catering?
To us, sustainability means building a business that has a minimal negative impact on the global and local environment, and a positive impact on the communities that surround us.
And considering the industry (Aviation) that we serve, and the industry (Agriculture) that supplies us, it is something we take heavily into consideration when it comes to both production and business practices. The Aviation industry produces around 2% of the world’s man-made of carbon dioxide. And the Agricultural industry accounts for 9% of global greenhouse gases.
Sustainability for us also extends to our business and Socio-economic development practices. Thus we have made it our mission to implement sustainable business practices where possible. Every little bit counts. Below is our Sustainability Policy.
Doing the right thing by our business
Par-Avion aims to look after our people, our customers and the resources that our business depends on.
Our aim is to have a responsible business with our B-BEEE Level 1 accreditation and to practice sustainable development business practices today and long into the future that are:
- takes care and develops its people
- in-house chefs training – Seta accredited NVQ
- provides the best service, quality, value for money and variety to our customers
- deals fairly and with integrity with suppliers
- invests in and supports our community
- protects the environment and natural resources that sustain our business
Sustainable Products & Services
At Par-Avion we offer the latest technology and operate within the leading industry food safety and quality control measures. We insist on the highest level of health and hygiene practices and ensure that these are strictly adhered to at all times. We are currently busy with our ISO 22000 accreditation.
Orders are produced in a certified facility acceptable for food production by the Department of Trade and Industry and we follow the SANS 10330:2007 Critical Control Point (HACCP) system as well as SANS 10156:2014, SANS 22000:2005 and SANS 241-1:2015 Health certification standards.
Our facilities are regularly audited by External Auditors. Par-Avion conducts regular internal audits for submission to its clients to ensure validity between audits. The IATA guideline for in-flight food production forms the basis of our quality assurance program.
Our menus are prepared daily using fresh ingredients by our chefs on-site at each of our kitchens at OR Tambo, Lanseria and Cape Town International Airports
Broad-Based-Black economic Empowerment
Certificate number: ATRS2018Q0054 – Level 1 BBBEE
The elements for consideration relate to Employment Equity, Enterprise Development, Preferential Procurement and Socio-Economic Development.
Integration and Implementation
Integration in mainstream business frameworks
- Owner responsibility
- Risk Management framework
- Strategic Planning framework
Implement Oversight and Performance Review
- Senior management has overall responsibility to ensure implementation of our key initiatives and targets, appropriate resourcing and performance monitoring
- Special Committees of senior management monitor implementation progress on Health and Safety and Sustainability objectives:
- Safety and Health Executive Committee
- Sustainability Executive Committee
Targets and commitments:
- Implement ethical and sustainable sourcing policies
- Provides social benefits through high-quality food, safe and healthy products and educational opportunities
- Make decisions based on a balance between economic, social and environmental factors to achieve the best value for money for our clients
- Make use of seasonality in ingredients to minimise energy used in transportation, production and storage.
Responding to customers concerns regarding:
- Black empowerment
- Working conditions
- Standards of health and Animal welfare
- Depleting natural resources
- Safe, healthy and nutritious meal options